Tuesday 17 July 2007

Lambeg drum

Some of you have probably been wondering what blueboat (Belfast Daily Photo) and I have been discussing recently so I present for you here the Lambeg drum.

More pictures of 'The Twelfth' can be seen here Belfast Telegraph and a piece of video here:

... and as you can see - it takes two people to carry it.

I have just had a look at the video and I must say that I am surprised how relatively few spectators there are. When I was a lad people turned out by the hundreds if not thousands and the crowds lining the streets were six deep. As for the marching bands - you can hardly call that marching, they're a disgrace to their uniforms and that's another thing most of those uniforms could have done with a good pressing. It looks like they slept in them!

Bands? stick a drum or a flute in your hand and you're a band - pathetic. Where are the pipe bands, the silver bands and the brass bands that used to appear at the Twelfth? And don't you think it would be nice if they didn't all play the same tune?