Monday 2 February 2009

In My Opinion - Dancing on Ice

I don’t often watch reality TV but occasionally my wife coerces me into watching a program – last night was one such night and the program in question was ‘Dancing on Ice’. For those of you who are not familiar with it, the format of said show is that a number of ‘celebrities’ are taught to skate by the cream of British ice-skaters: Torville & Dean. Hah!

First, let me just say that I don’t know who most of the ‘celebs’ are – so much for celebrity – and in my opinion are just talentless has-beens (or never-weres). This (in my opinion) is certainly true of Todd Carty (I do know him) who is being hailed as the ‘John Sargent of Dancing on Ice’. Carty received the lowest score from the judges (an embarrassing 7.5) and because of that should have been voted off ... but the ‘Great British Public’, in their wisdom, decided to vote in favour of keeping him in the show. Either they are taking a perverse delight in putting him (and us) through the agony of another excruciatingly lacklustre performance or they are very easily amused and are voting him on for entertainment value. Like I say, they must be very easily amused.

In my opinion Carty should follow John Sargent’s lead and withdraw, gracefully, from the show. In fact, NO, I think ITV should do the decent thing and withdraw the whole show.