Tuesday 20 January 2009

Christian refuses to drive atheist bus

A Christian bus driver has refused to use a vehicle with the atheist slogan: "There's probably no God".

Ron Heather, from Southampton, responded with "shock horror" at the message and walked out of his shift in protest.

Buses across Britain started displaying atheist messages in an advertising campaign launched earlier this month, reports the BBC.

Mr Heather said: "I was just about to board and there it was staring me in the face, my first reaction was shock horror.

"I felt that I could not drive that bus, I told my managers and they said they haven't got another one and I thought I better go home, so I did.

"I think it was the starkness of this advert which implied there was no God."

He has since agreed to go back to work with the promise he would only have to drive the buses if there were no others available.

First Bus said in a statement: "As a company we understand Mr Heather's views regarding the atheist bus advert and we are doing what we can to accommodate his request not to drive the buses concerned."

The advertising campaign is backed by the British Humanist Association and prominent atheist, Professor Richard Dawkins. ananova

NOW, all we need is for the atheist drivers to refuse to drive buses carrying religious posters!

.......... more than 200 people complained to the Advertising Standards Agency about the posters, which were created by Ariane Sherine, a comedy writer, as an antidote to religious adverts on public transport that "threaten eternal damnation" to passengers.

The watchdog is now considering whether to investigate the campaign on the grounds that it is offensive, or that its central claim about God's existence cannot be substantiated. telegraph.co.uk

Surely the central claim about God's existence not being substantiated should also be applied to poster campaigns by religious groups, which, in turn, should be investigated by the Advertising Standards Agency on the basis that they may be offensive to atheists. Obviously atheists are more tolerant, since they don't complain about religious posters - perhaps we should?