Monday 4 February 2008

The Lark in the Clear Air



This is the version sung by Cara Dillon which is very good but ...

does anybody remember Paddie Bell? Though born in Belfast she was resident in Edinburgh much of her life. She was a founder member of and sang with The Corries Folk Trio from 1962 and, although she featured prominently on the covers of two Corries albums as a banjo-player, it was as a singer that her talent shone. wikipedia

Paddie left the group to become a mother, but she continued recording as a solo artist. In 1965 she recorded the album 'Herself' accompanied by Martin Carthy, and in 1968 she recorded 'I know where I'm going' with Finbar and Eddie Furey. Paddie returned to the Edinburgh folk scene in the 1990s with her own celebrated Festival show. She was a great supporter and regular attendant of Edinburgh Folk Club and appeared frequently at Festival Folk at the Oak during the Festival. In 1993 she released the solo album "The Dawn of a Brand New Day" and this was followed by 2 more albums in 1997 and 1998 titled "Make me Want to Stay" and "An Irish Kiss".

Paddie Bell, died in Edinburgh aged 74 on 3rd August 2005. Foot stompin' Celtic music.

I first heard 'The Lark in the Clear Air' sung by Paddie and will always associate it with her - she had such a beautiful voice that I don't think anyone can ever match. I have just dug out my vinyl copy of 'I know where I'm going' and it is still a real pleasure to listen to. And no way am I parting with it for any amount of money. AND there is a superb rendition of 'My Lagan Love' on said LP. That's right - LP - from well before the dawn of CD's.