Wednesday 28 November 2007

Christmas and a young child's imagination.

As window displays go it's actually not bad but when I think back to when I was a child and awed by the magic of christmas I can remember a time when the stores were in competition with each other to produce the best christmas display in the city centre. Sadly not many take the time or effort any longer to produce something to capture a young child's imagination. I regret that, when I had the chance recently, I didn't take my grandson round to see the polar bear but it was a cold wet saturday and we opted instead for the warmth of a local cafe - still, there will be another couple of occasions when I can put that to rights.

I am reminded also of the times when my father took my sister and myself to the Ulster museum and our first stop was the stuffed polar bear that stood near the exit, it was much more exciting than the real life bear at the zoo - because you could walk right up to this one and look him straight in the eyes.