Wednesday 15 November 2006

Santa's Grotty Grotto

BBC:
A city shopping centre has defended itself against parents' complaints that its Santa grotto was a "real rip off".
A grandfather who took his son to visit the Santa at Castlecourt in Belfast city centre on Saturday said he didn't get a present from Father Christmas.
"I queued for ages, then they handed us a leaflet with the prices. It was £7.99 just for a photograph," he said.
But the centre has defended its "free" Santa, saying children did get a token gift from Santa's helpers.
The man told the BBC's Nolan Show that he was already in the queue when he was handed a leaflet containing prices ranging from £7.99 to £34.99 for photographs with Santa Claus.
"My grandson asked: 'Where's my present, is Santa not giving me a present?' What could you say?" he said.
A woman helper said Santa would not be handing out presents, but soft toys were available at a price of £3.99.
Another woman said: "We were expecting a nice welcome and a toy or a teddy bear. I only stayed for about five minutes. My daughter saw Santa for two minutes, that was it - £7.99 just for a picture is extortionate."