Tuesday 4 December 2007

Security Alert

click for larger
I have just received another of those e-mails advising me to update my NatWest bank account details. Apart from the obvious spelling errors and the fact that I do not hold a NatWest account the whole thing is extremely amateur - the e-mail should have been sent in html format but instead they sent the source code, so that it looked like the image above instead of looking like this ................


Logo: NatWest





Dear Nawest Customer:

It has come to

our attention that your account billing updates are out of order. If you could

please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and update your billing

records you will not run into any future problems with the online service.

However, failure to update your records will result in account termination.

Please update your records now.



If you are the

rightful holder of the account you must click the link below and then

complete all steps from the following page as we try to verify your

identity.





www.natwest.co.uk/nwolb/personal/default.aspx



If you

choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choise but to temporaly suspend

your account.



Regards



Updating Department


I mean to say, come on, if you want to defraud me out of my millions you really will have to do better than that. Howsabout investing in a spell checker for a kick-off and what about a bit of quality control? - nobody but nobody is going to buy shoddy goods like this, we would only ask for our money back (c:=

You will probably have noticed that the fake link above is for the following url: http://hemdenshop-becker.de/images/attributes/log/www.natwest.co.uk/nwolb/personal/default.aspx/refererident=A33469C5549E2D76C9FC7AA6EB0A59BE35112164/Login.aspx.htm

Ha Ha Ha ha Ha. I'm laughing all the way to the bank - not NatWest, I hasten to add. Oh, and please, please, please terminate my account and forward all money to me post haste, thank you.