Monday 3 December 2007

Opera Monday - O mio babbino caro

Just for a little change I thought I would post different versions of the same aria - 'O mio babbino caro' sung by four of the greatest opera singers. Probably most people will recognize it as having been included in the soundtrack of the film 'A Room with a View' and what a piece of music to select - beautiful.

Hayley Westenra


Sumi Jo



Renee Fleming



Angela Gheorghiu


I had included Maria Callas but decided to remove her version because, much as I appreciate her wonderful singing, I did not think her version was as good as the others. I know there are people who will disagree and disagree strongly with me here but I'm afraid it is a matter of personal preference - I am not saying it was a poor performance by Maria Callas.

O mio babbino caro ("Oh my dear daddy") is an aria from Gianni Schicchi by Giacomo Puccini. It is sung by Lauretta after tensions between Schicchi and his prospective in-laws have reached a breaking point. It describes Lauretta's deep love of her boyfriend Rinuccio (referred to, but not named, in the second and subsequent lines of the aria).

Why not listen to all four and let me know which is your favourite.