Tuesday 22 August 2006

Man fined over cigarette ash

A driver has been handed a £75 fine for flicking his cigarette ash out of his car window.
Alan Joyce, from Poole, Dorset, was sent a fixed penalty notice telling him to pay the fine within 14 days or face court action.
He was told that a council officer had reason to believe he was "dripping his cigarette" while driving his car.
Mr Joyce, 68, who plans to pay the fine but lodge a complaint, said: "To me that is not worth being branded a litter bug. I am really annoyed. I can't remember doing it so I can't deny it. But it is annoying when you see other things like the chewing gum on the streets and the litter left in my garden."
According to the Mirror Poole councillor Don Collier said: "Poole operates a vigilant fixed penalty notice scheme to discover people who are littering our town. The people of Poole won't tolerate littering."

So what's the problem here? He should be castrated. Doesn't he know the damage he is doing to other people with his smoking? And flicking cigarette ash out of a car window can be dangerous for the driver following if he happens to have his window open - if you have ever suffered from ash in the eye then you know what I mean. Plus the smell of somebody else's smoke in your car is really annoying. Shall I go on????