Sunday 20 August 2006

Binmen get rid of luggage

For those of you who have spent hours recently in airport boarding lounges arguing with check in staff about what you can or cannot take on a plane then just be thankful that this did not happen to you.

A man who had just returned home from holiday had his luggage thrown away by dustmen.

Phil Newbon from Spalding, Lincs, left his luggage on the pavement as he returned home when he glanced back he realised it was being crushed by grinders inside the back of their dustcart.

His clothes, mobile phone, sat-nav, digital camera and gifts for family and friends were destroyed. Even his duty free was being crunched up.

Phil, who says the total value was £1,600, said: "I couldn't believe my eyes. I only left my bags there while I chatted to a pal after getting a lift back from the airport.

"Then they were gone and everything was being smashed to pieces. I thought I was being set up for a TV stunt. The council told me people often leave suitcases out for collection and I'm sure that's true.

"But I doubt they have 25kg of luggage inside, tags still attached and a bag of hand luggage and duty-free next to them."

Phil is now trying to get compensation from South Holland council, Lincs, but says he has been told he will not get a penny.

LINK: