Tuesday 4 July 2006

WHY?

Last night ITV ran a news item on Wayne Rooney.
Apparently he could not understand why he was given the red card - in fact he was gobsmacked!
Nor does he hold a grudge against his team mate Ronaldo.

Now - I'm IRISH and therefore thick
but WHY? It wasn't Ronaldo who stomped the opponent's gooleys was it?
AND don't tell me it was accidental - you will not convince me it was not deliberate.

In my opinion he should be gobsmacked (often!) - maybe it would knock some sense into him.

'If it was one of my team-mates I would be absolutely disgusted with him,' said Gerrard. 'I saw Ronaldo going over to the ref and giving him the card - he was bang out of order.
'Winking at the bench and his team-mates sums him up as a person.
'If I was playing against a Liverpool team-mate and they were involved in a situation like that I would never try and get them sent off.'


Yeah that just sums up the English attitude to sportsmanship - just because he plays on the same team doesn't mean he has to turn a blind eye to infringements of the rules. And don't tell me you don't grass up a mate. That excuse doesn't hold water. If the roles were reversed I think it would be a totally different story, with the English players shouting loudest. What sums up Rooney as a person - sportsman is not a word that springs to mind!

You lost! Dry your eyes and live with it. Unfortunately all we are going to hear now is more about the 1966 team. 40 years on and they still can't produce another winning team.