Thursday 10 May 2007

The inmates have taken over the asylum

Further proof, if proof were needed, that Britain has gone totally insane. Well in this case, perhaps it's the Americans who are to blame... but it's the British arm of the American KFC chain.

Britain's highest pub is being sued by fast food giant KFC over its traditional "Family Feast" on Christmas Day.

KFC claims punters could confuse the annual meal at the remote Tan Hill Inn with its "Family Feast" buckets of chicken and chips. Somehow I wouldn't think so, since the KFC bucket of chicken and chips (in my opinion) could hardly be called a feast and KFC should probably be taken to task under the Trade Descriptions Act.

Tracy Daly, licensee of the inn, said: "It beggars belief, I am dumbfounded. They are a multimillion-pound, international organisation and I am a little lady up a mountain."

Tracy, who runs the pub near Richmond, North Yorks, with partner Mike Pearce, 60, received a letter from top London solicitors Freshfields warning them to drop the name

She added: "Our Family Feast is a traditional Christmas dinner - pate, turkey, roast beef and the trimmings, Christmas pud. It's about as similar to a KFC meal as chalk is to cheese.
You said it Tracy - and my mouth is watering already.

"Chicken and chips with a salad is on the menu, but we use local free-range birds - no coating, no secret spices.

"I don't like bullies and I think they want to bully me. They have turned heavy-duty, big-city lawyers loose on us, but I have already had firms of solicitors offering to take on our case for nothing."

A KFC spokesman said: "Family Feast is a registered trade mark of Kentucky Fried Chicken (Great Britain) Limited. KFC devotes significant resources to promoting and protecting its trade marks. "This particular instance is being dealt with by our solicitors."

I think it was proven in another court case recently that you cannot register phrases such as this and prohibit their use by the public. Unfortunately I cannot remember the details and I stand to be corrected but if anybody knows the details of the case I am referring to, please leave a comment. Thank you.