Wednesday 25 October 2006

More Free Money

Daily Mail:
Lucky revellers were 'quids in' and queued round the block after a high street cashpoint started dispensing - double money.

Hundreds of gleeful punters - mostly students - queued for up to three hours at the Royal Bank of Scotland ATM with most making multiple withdrawals.

But those lucky enough to cash in should not blow their windfall as the RBS has vowed to trace all discrepancies and demand the money back.

It is believed that canny punters fleeced the ATM in well-heeled Clifton, Bristol - which dispensed £20s for every £10 withdrawn - for tens of thousands.

***

Eleanor Woodward, 23, of Bristol, was crossing the road at 3pm when someone told her the ATM was giving out double money.
Marketing assistant Eleanor said: "I withdrew £20 at first and got £40 and then went up to Sainsburys's thinking I'd done really well.

"But then I thought, 'what am I doing?' and headed back down. By this time there were about 12 people there.
"I withdrew another £80 and then felt quite guilty so left it at that, but I texted all my mates and they headed down.
"Within about half an hour there were hundreds of people queueing as everyone must have done the same thing.

"I went over to my flat, which overlooks the bank, and my boyfriend and I sat and watched as everyone - mostly students - laughed and drank beer and having a ball waiting for their money.
"People were maxing out their credit cards up to £1,000 at a time, so God knows how much money the bank lost."

Those who missed out were left feeling bitter.
Artist Richard Thorne, 24, an artist, queued for an hour and a half but the machine ran out of money when he was just four from the front.