Sunday 6 January 2008

The Invasion of the Accordionists.

If you look closely at yesterday's photo of the young woman in Belfast city centre you can just make out the legs of an accordionist in a shop doorway on Royal Avenue: when he spotted me with my camera he ducked back into the doorway so that I could not photograph his face. Since he was obviously reluctant to have his picture taken I decided to move on but just round the corner was a second accordionist whose photo I took from the top deck of the bus. You have to hand it to them, I suppose, because there they are playing away regardless of the low temperature, but then again this may feel like summer to them considering where they have come from (is this racist?). It's a step up from selling 'BigIssue' but today I came across a further influx of them in various streets around the city centre - what pisses me off is not the fact that they are multiplying rapidly but the fact that they all play the same and only tune (they must all be taking lessons at the same time - there's probably night classes at the local tech'!) - for crying out loud learn a couple more tunes and don't all play the same tune at the same time!! The other thing that pisses me off is that once the eastern european m*f!@ arrived all of the local guys who sold Big Issue effectively disappeared - now I'm not suggesting that there was force or other nefarious means of persuasion involved but all of a sudden all of the spots previously taken by our local guys were occupied by one of these women in ankle length denim skirts and headscarves (the same seems to apply to local buskers).