Wednesday 24 January 2007

Text messages persuade thief to return phone

A thief has returned a mobile phone to his victim in China after she sent him 21 'emotional' text messages.

Pan Aiying, was riding her bicycle when a motorcycle rider snatched her bag containing her mobile phone, bank cards and about £300 in cash.

The schoolteacher, from Qihe in Shandong Province, decided to try to persuade the thief to return her belongings, instead of going to the police.

China Daily, quoting the Qilu Evening News, says she wrote: "You must be going through a difficult time. If so, I will not blame you.

"Keep the money if you really need it, but please return the other things to me. You are still young. To err is human. Correcting your mistake is more important than anything."

The following morning Pan found her bag in the courtyard of her home and found nothing had been taken.

The thief left a letter with the bag, saying: "Dear Pan: I'm sorry. I made a mistake. Please forgive me. You are so tolerant even though I stole from you. I'll correct my ways and be an upright person."